Child community-If parents are divorced at early age

In Child Custody Law
Sir, My name is XXXX, My father is OC caste and Mother is OBC Caste.My parents were divorced at my 10 years of age(Though they had separated at my 5 years of age but they has been divorced by court at my age of 9) I have been with under my mom care since childhood…never enjoyed any benefits of my father community or caste…..what would be my caste ,One of my friends father said I can get my mom caste(Supreme court said if child has not got any privileges of his father, child can be treated as Mother community) By this point can i apply OBC and get its benefits for jobs …But, I have used my father name in My Certificates and Education Institutions but fees and expenses are paid by mom right from childhood, Despite the usage of my Father name Can I get OBC certificate?????

Answers (1)

138 votes

Dear Client,
Father`s caste will the child caste even though he was severed from your mother. Generally the child belongs to Father’s cast however the child can claim the mother’s cast also in certain situation.

The question of the status of a child born to a scheduled tribe mother from a forward caste father came up for consideration before the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India in Rameshbhai Dabhai Naika Vs State of Gujarat & Others ( CIVIL APPEAL NO. 654 OF 2012- Decided on January 18, 2012) and the Supreme Court held as follows:-

"In an inter-caste marriage or a marriage between a tribal and a non-tribal there may be a presumption that the child has the caste of the father. This presumption may be stronger in the case where in the inter-caste marriage or a marriage between a tribal and a non-tribal the husband belongs to a forward caste. But by no means the presumption is conclusive or irrebuttable and it is open to the child of such marriage to lead evidence to show that he/she was brought up by the mother who belonged to the scheduled caste/scheduled tribe. By virtue of being the son of a forward caste father he did not have any advantageous start in life but on the contrary suffered the deprivations, indignities, humilities and handicaps like any other member of the community to which his/her mother belonged. Additionally, that he was always treated a member of the community to which her mother belonged not only by that community but by people outside the community as well. In the case in hand the tribal certificate has been taken away from the appellant without adverting to any evidences and on the sole ground that he was the son of a Kshatriya father. The orders passed by the High Court and the Scrutiny Committee, therefore, cannot be sustained. The orders passed by the High Court and the Scrutiny Committee are, accordingly, set aside and the case is remitted to the Scrutiny Committee to take a fresh decision on the basis of the evidences that might be led by the two sides. "

Note: Everybody like well researched answers, so if you liked this answer please upvote it. Also, if you want to read more interesting and well researched answers, follow me (Vivek Gupta). Thank you very much for your time. God bless you

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
37 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles