Can mother having child custody leave country without father's consent

Hi, I am a mother to a 6 year old and recently divorced.The custody of my son is with me but the father has visitation rights.However he has never visited him in the last 3 years. My only question is - when I have to travel out of the country with my son , the visa formalities require my ex's signature and consent as well.Which custody would be appropriate so that only my consent is enough as I cannot chase him every time we travel.

Answers (2)

244 votes

If you have been granted custody of the child then I fail to understand why you need your ex husbands consent.However if its required then seek consent or move family court or High court to seek permission and then go.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

330 votes

Hi. You are right, chasing him ti get his consent is not possible every time and he might act pricey. In this case I need to understand whether the divorce was mutual or contested. In both cases, depending upon the decree you can file and application before the court for appropriate orders . Please contact me for further discussion .

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
16 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

The mother had gone to her fathers house with he two sons under Normal circumstances where the father of the children booked the tickets as a part of …

Read More

Hi We are planning to adopt new born baby from my wife sister which can be born in another 2 month. Both couple are ready to provide that new baby. So…

Read More

I am a working woman and thinking to get divorce due to conflicts and irresponsible behaviour. I am having 5yrs old twin boys. Since the day I conceiv…

Read More

I got married in Christianity in 2012 but got separated becoz of abuse ad physical torture. After getting separated i got conceived ad now i have 4 yr…

Read More