Can maintenance to daughter be stopped after she attains majority

I am divorced & have been paying INR6000 p.m to my daughter who is now 18 years & not living nor speaking to me . I am re married to a widow and have adopted her son of my same daughter's age. Can I stop paying the amount?

Answers (3)

If daughter is major and if she maintain herself by doing of job then you didn't pay maintain her.but you have to prove in court that she is doing job and she can maintain herself. Then only her maintenance is rejected

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Hi as per law if she has applied for maintenance and any court order is given than you are liable to her maintenance to her till she marry. You cannot run from your responsibility only because you married 2 nd time

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience

The law laid down by the Supreme Court while dealing with entitlement of the children to claim maintenance from the Muslim parents under Section 125 of the Code till they attain majority or in case of females till they get married, is fully applicable to the facts at hand. It may be noted here that under Sub-section (3) of Section 20 of the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act, 1956, obligation of a Hindu father includes the obligation to maintain his unmarried daughter not only for the purposes of her day-to-day expenses, but also in respect of the reasonable expenses of her marriage. It arises from the very existence of relationship.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Child Custody Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I am 16 years of age. In case of Death of both my parents, is it possible that instead of being handed over to a relative or a guardian, I get emancip…

Read More

As a mother my daughter is 3 yrs.till now I had solely done her all education and upbringing.her dad earns nothing.will I get my daughter custody if s…

Read More

We were married under Islamic law 7 years ago. Six years passed on quite peacefully and a son who is now 6 year old came into existence who is at pres…

Read More

We are married for 5yrs and have 1 year old daughter. My husband and in-laws have done mental torture on me all these years. I am a working woman and …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue