Can maintenance to daughter be stopped after she attains majority

I am divorced & have been paying INR6000 p.m to my daughter who is now 18 years & not living nor speaking to me . I am re married to a widow and have adopted her son of my same daughter's age. Can I stop paying the amount?

If daughter is major and if she maintain herself by doing of job then you didn't pay maintain her.but you have to prove in court that she is doing job and she can maintain herself. Then only her maintenance is rejected

Hi as per law if she has applied for maintenance and any court order is given than you are liable to her maintenance to her till she marry. You cannot run from your responsibility only because you married 2 nd time

Popular Child Custody Lawyers

The law laid down by the Supreme Court while dealing with entitlement of the children to claim maintenance from the Muslim parents under Section 125 of the Code till they attain majority or in case of females till they get married, is fully applicable to the facts at hand. It may be noted here that under Sub-section (3) of Section 20 of the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act, 1956, obligation of a Hindu father includes the obligation to maintain his unmarried daughter not only for the purposes of her day-to-day expenses, but also in respect of the reasonable expenses of her marriage. It arises from the very existence of relationship.