What is the remedy in case of cheque bounce

I have given money to a person for his business purpose he has given in written to me on stamp paper and also given Cheque as a proof now when I am asking him about my money he is not giving me. So shall I deposit the given cheque and once it is bounced what actions I need to take.

Answers (2)

94 votes

You can deposit the cheque and get it bounced and file a cheque bounce case. The procedure for filing a cheque bounce case is as follows :
"upon return of cheque being unpaid, you need to issue a legal notice within 30 days from the date of cheque bounce demanding the payment of cheque amount and thereafter the issuer has an opportunity to pay the amount within 15 days from the date of receipt of legal notice. If he does not make the payment within 15 days you can file a complaint before a competent Court. The maximum punishment is imprisonment up to two years or/and a penalty up to Rs. 10,000/- or both and compensation two times the cheque amount."

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

305 votes


You can deposit the cheque in your bank within ninety days from the date of cheque. If the same is getting dishonored, you may approach the concerned court and file a case of dishonor of cheque.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
23 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
34 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles