Recovery of amount bounced cheque after death of accused

Is possible recovery of amount as mentioned in bounced cheque after death of accused person if proceeding is pending in the court or in case of surrender also?

Answers (3)

70 votes

you can not recover the cheque amount by filling criminal complaint Under section 138 of NI act because criminal lability can not be sift to another person. But you can file a Recovery suit for the money mentioned in cheque from legal heir of person who issue cheque. You can use cheque as a documentary evidence.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

221 votes

summary suit can be filed against the Legal Representatives of the deceased. Complaint under section 138 of NI act is not maintainable, and the only remedy left is civil suit. summery suit is best remedy because it is very speedy.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
330 votes

Only the Civil remedy is left ie the suit for recovery from legal heirs of the accused which should be filed with in specific time frame ie three years from the date of transaction or if any other date is specified otherwise better to forget because these suits pertaining to recoveries are highly technical.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles