Procedure to file for maintenance in case husband staying abroad

My husband is living in foreign country and has liability of loans of over 40 lakhs as per his version. Not giving money to run the family. I have one son just started working. Daughter to be married and not working. Iam house wife. How to legally declare that my son, daughter, myself not responsible for the liability. Not sure to give divorce now. Any other suggestions for financial liability not coming to us as we are legally bound.

Answers (2)

253 votes

If liability is of husband, Bank will take action against him. You no need to pay. If home is mortgaged not easy to take your possession. You can file maintenance application under Sec.125 of CrPC and civil maintenance under Sec 18 of Hindu adoption and maintenance Act. Serve summons him through mail.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

179 votes

Dear Client,
Kindly note nobody is liable for debt of others, but if you are occupying the property owned by the said defaulter, the said property can be attached.
There are many if's and but's in your facts. It would be advised to consult any of the empaneled advocate of lawRato for correct and precise advice.

Expert Jurist LLP

Popular Banking / Finance Lawyers

Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Advocate Vijay Tangri
Saket, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
12 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Banking / Finance Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles