Can I claim my money legally if I gave loan in cash against affidavit

If, I gave loan of 5lac in cash against affidavit mentioning the repayment within 3 months through chq. Can I go for legal action on basis of affidavit, if borrower do not pay ..

Answers (4)

261 votes

Yes you can claim your money following legal action against borrower as it is legally enforceable debt as you had taken an affidavit mentioning the same from borrower. So in this case you can initiate legal proceedings against borrower.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

50 votes

Yes, you can claim for loan on the basis of affidavit if borrower doesn't pay your loan.
1) A loan agreement is like any other contract. Thus the provisions of Indian Contract Act will be attracted for enforcing the contract.
2) If affidavit mentions any time limit within which you can file claim then you must adhere to that time limit. If no time limit is mentioned then you have to claim within reasonable time limit. In either of case, time limit cannot exceed 3 years under the Limitation Act.
3) kindly ensure that you must not breach any of the terms mentioned in the affidavit and become a breaching party. If this happens the other party may claim fraud or any other wrong doing on your part.

Popular Banking / Finance Lawyers

Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
16 years Experience
Advocate R.K. Gupta
Goyal Vihar, Indore
19 years Experience
276 votes

The proper way of going about this is to execute and register a loan agreement with the borrower. The affidavit will be strengthened by the agreement. I am not sure if mere affidavit can provide you the necessary comfort. A post dated cheque, if it bounces, will lead to filing of criminal matters in addition to a civil suit for recovery of dues.

285 votes

Your query is too brief to be answered elaborately,but if you provide the complete documents for reference a more clear picture would come out .The affidavit cannot be known from your query whether is before a oath commissioner or an agreement before notary .Also whether the cheque given is presented or not and the legal formalities undertaken for 138 NI Act has been processed or not.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Banking / Finance Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

sir my name is , i taken an education loan( from federal bank(4lakh) at the year of 2011, in 2015 my course was completed, and now im unemploye…

Read More

I am having education loan which is NPA since more than 10 years, now bank is charging 1,30,000 principal and 4,50,000 interest , so total of Rs. 5,80…

Read More

 a staff from state Bank of India. On September 23 2016 I was suspended for committing fraud amounting to 2,80,000, on 25th September 2016, I Dep…

Read More

What are the occasions of cheque destruction.If cheques destroyed by mistake by bank. Afterwards cheques encashed by bank staff where cheques issued i…

Read More