quesWill I have to pay extra tax on maturity of NSC and Kissan Vikas Patra

I am a working married Hidu woman aged 42.My father bought some NSCs and Kisan Vikas Patra where in some of them my status is of joint depositor and in some of them I am nominee,There are some FIX DEPOSITES in Banks where I enjoy the same status e.s.nominee and second depositor.My father died some months ago. I am an income tax assessee. My question is Will I have to pay EXTRA TAX on the maturity of these investments?

  • ansThe tax liability is of the primary depositor. However when the primary depositor dies the responsibility devolves upon the beneficiary which may be either the joint holder or the nominee. Therefore in your case now after your fathers death you are responsible to pay the taxes on the investments.
    Yes you are required to pay the tax on the maturity of these instruments as per their treatment under the IT Act.

    Advocate Anshul Agarwal

      Gokhale Marg, Lucknow

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Tax Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Tax lawyers in India

Similar questions

Hi, I have recently started my online clothing store, i dont manufacture goods i just…
Dear Sir, I have a consultancy firm. We provide service to our members only. Our…
What do we mean by long term and short term capital assets?
Hi - I am looking to take an education loan from Avanse Education Loans (http://www.avanse.com/)…

Tax Lawyers in India

Advocate Anuj Aggarwal

  Model Town, Phase 3
 Experience: 13 years

Advocate Ankita Singh

 Experience: 5 years

Advocate N Sudalai Muthu

  Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Anupam Dighe

  S Bharucha Marg
 Experience: 18 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly