Taxation for Income earned abroad
If an NRI earns an income which is exempt from tax abroad then will it be taxable in India? For example if an NRI trades in Foreign Exchange or Stocks in Singapore or Dubai where there is no capital gains tax then will the income earned on the same be taxed by Income Tax Authorities in India? Does the NRI have to explain such income while transferring it to India?
If you have lived in India for more than 182 days in a financial year, you will be considered a resident of India under the Income Tax Act. So your income, including the one earned abroad, will be taxable in India. However if u have resided less than 182 days in india, then the income you have earned will be exempt from TAX. Any income from savings invested in India will be taxed here.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Tax Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Can company change terms to serve notice period during employment
- Eviction of Tenants under Padgi System
- Can second wife claim on the pension of husband
- Requirement for registration of a partnership firm
- Harassed by husband after 12 years of marriage what can I do