How can i protect my new business idea from being copied?
Given a scenario where a person has a business idea in mind and has just begun working, the major concern always is, how to protect our business from getting copied or preventing leak of important information that could harm the workings of the business in the present and future. I wanted to inquire that in a start up with a business idea, what are the rights of the owner concerning the Intellectual Property for the business and what can be done to protect the IP. Can you also explain the concept of Trade Secrets and their registration in India, alongwith other ways to protect the IP.
Simply put, there are no IP rights for "ideas" per se. That said, there are multiple ways in which one can protect their creation. Trademark, copyright and patent registrations are the more conventional ways of securing IPR, subject to, of course, what specific registration is applicable to the business. With respect to trade secrets, there is no statutory protection. They are protected through contracts and, therefore, it is important to get foolproof employment contracts drafted. It is also important to sign a NDA with all vendors. You should meet a start-up lawyer who can give you advice specific to your situation.
Advocate Dhruv SuriBarakhamba Road, Delhi
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Startup Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
- Can i sell old coins online
- Defect in car - what action can i take against company
- Wife has filed 498a case how can I prove my innocence
- How can I get duplicate copy of death certificate.
- Assault by beating by a colleague what action can I take