Is private sector company controlled by Govt. covered under RTI?
Is a Government officer bound to reply to the questions under RTI, which are related with a private sector controlled by the government but not financial support?
RTI Act, 2005 provides a legal framework of citizens’ democratic right to access to information under the control of public authorities. As per Section 2(h) public authorities has defined as under:
(h) “public authority” means any authority or body or institution of self-government established or constituted,—
(a) by or under the Constitution;"
(b) by any other law made by Parliament;"
(c) by any other law made by State Legislature;"
(d) by notification issued or order made by the appropriate Government, and includes any—"
" (i) body owned, controlled or substantially financed;"
" (ii) nonâ€‘Government Organisation substantially financed," directly or indirectly by funds provided by the appropriate Government;
(i) “record” includes—"
(i) any document, manuscript and file;"
(ii) any microfilm, microfiche and facsimile copy of a document;"
(iii) any reproduction of image or images embodied in such microfilm (whether enlarged or not); and"
(iv) any other material produced by a computer or any other device;"
Hence if, the government substantially controlled the private sector, then they are bound to provide you with information.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the R.T.I Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Enforce-ability of a Business Associate agreement
- Internet/Mobile Postpaid number payment issue what can be done
- Company asking to pay Rs 3 moths salary if not serving notice period
- What is the procedure for loan against property
- Closure Report Procedure in CBI Court