quesReceived notice to appear in court. Abrupt hike in EMI. What to do?

My home loan provider has sent me a show cause notice today, as I had stopped paying the EMI 2 years ago owing to the abrupt and unexplained increase in EMI suddenly. I had a home loan top up from GE finance in 2007 (now Magma Fincorp) and they suddenly increased my EMI from Rs. 17,000 to Rs. 28,000 per month and did not have a valid reason when I enquired about the same.


I stopped paying the EMI thereby and after a few months offered them a 1 time settlement to which they never responded. Now today I get a show cause notice from GE (not Magma) to appear in the Court.


What should I do?


  • ans


    We would be in a better position to guide you after reading your loan agreement. However as per the information you have provided us we have the following suggestion for you:


    As the matter has reached the Court, you shall have to appear and file a detailed reply wherein you shall have to explain your position and the reason as to why you had stopped paying the EMI as you are the one who has defaulted.


    You can explain your grounds for non-payment including the arbitrary increase in EMI and the offer to make 1 time settlement and the same not being responded to by the bank.


    You do not need to worry, the Court will not impose any unreasonable conditions on you, rather you shall be given a chance to settle your dues, however it is essential that you clearly explain your grounds for non-payment.


  • Send a legal notice for recovery of dues @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Recovery Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Recovery lawyers in India

Similar questions

Before 11 years back we had given someone 10 lacs Rupees on interest, from that…
One of my friend borrowed some money from me and promise me he return to…
We had taken hand loan from a financier amounting to 13 lacs. His rate of…

I took loan from India infoline against my home but i am not able pay…

Recovery Lawyers in India

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Sukhwinder Singh Rai

  District Court, Ludhiana
 Experience: 17 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly
View in App
Get Upto 40% Off