quesCan my friend charge interest at the rate of 8-10% legally?

Can my friend who has lent me some money charge me at 8-10% Rate of Interest legally? I took a loan from a friend for my father’s treatment. The total amount including the interest is coming up to about 50 Lakhs that I am unable to pay. Some transactions were done verbally while some on a stamp paper.


Even the ROI is mentioned on some papers while others don't have a ROI written on them. What can I do to save myself?


  • ans

    Charging an interest rate of 8-10% (yearly) is not an exorbitant rate of interest and it is an acceptable rate of interest. So yes, your friend can charge this rate legally. 


    Now if you are unable to pay then the option available to you is to declare yourself as bankrupt / insolvent. You can either wait for your friend to initiate a civil suit and then declare bankruptcy or you can yourself file for bankruptcy.


    The first step towards filing for personal bankruptcy would be to approach your local civil court and file a suit for personal bankruptcy. Once this is done, you would also need to submit a petition with the district court. On filing the petition, an officer would be charged with inspecting all the assets and collecting all of them except for the ones that are exempted by law.


    Once collected, the court would then proceed to lock down all assets until they are sold, after which the creditors would be paid back the due amount from the proceedings.

    Disadvantages of declaring yourself as insolvent are:


    a. Social stigma to an insolvent.


    b. Cannot become a partner of any firm or the director of a company.


    c. Cannot enter into legal contracts.


    d. The insolvent may not get credit until he is discharged.


    e. Cannot contest elections or hold public offices.



    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • Send a legal notice for recovery of dues @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Recovery Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Recovery lawyers in India

Similar questions

What are the problems a bank face on enforceability and disposing the property under SARFAESI…
i sent the money through net banking one of my friend , he is not…


Is there any limitation for the period of attachment of Property. Can a property of…

Recovery Lawyers in India

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly