quesTaxes for transferring inherited agricultural land?

My father passed away a few years ago and the entire family resides overseas. Presently, my mother is visiting our hometown to get the agricultural land transferred from my father's name to the children. She has been informed that in addition to the "commission" for the patwari and tehsildar there is a state tax which had doubled.

I don't believe there should be any land transfer taxes due as the land is not being sold, it is only being transferred to the heirs's name. Can someone advise whether there are taxes applicable?

  • ansYou need to connect with a local lawyer practising in your hometown regarding the taxes prevalent there. The commission that is sought to be recovered by the patwari and tehsildar is nothing but bribe money.

    There may be specified law & rule prevailing there for collecting tax/revenue while transferring ownership of the property. Talk to a lawyer to get better clarity.

  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

Sir, I am the resident of Delhi. I have a house in a long narrow…
my mother in law sold our property in very low cost as per market…

R/Sir, my parents expired on march 2002. I have 2 brothers & 01 sister and…

I'm the youngest son to my parents and I'm the one who built house and…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly