Taxes for transferring inherited agricultural land?
My father passed away a few years ago and the entire family resides overseas. Presently, my mother is visiting our hometown to get the agricultural land transferred from my father's name to the children. She has been informed that in addition to the "commission" for the patwari and tehsildar there is a state tax which had doubled.
I don't believe there should be any land transfer taxes due as the land is not being sold, it is only being transferred to the heirs's name. Can someone advise whether there are taxes applicable?
You need to connect with a local lawyer practising in your hometown regarding the taxes prevalent there. The commission that is sought to be recovered by the patwari and tehsildar is nothing but bribe money.
There may be specified law & rule prevailing there for collecting tax/revenue while transferring ownership of the property. Talk to a lawyer to get better clarity.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Father's Shares in D-mat a/c want to transfer share in mother's name
- Husband is demanding money at the event of separation. What to do ?
- Father brought land when we were in joint family can brother ask share
- Fine charged because of Corruption done by former Committee(1996-2006)
- Can I remove the name of the owner without her consent