Share of deceased brother's wife from father's property, if christian?
We are three brothers. Our parents are no more. The property is in the name of our deceased father. No will was ever made. My elder brother expired few months back who had a wife and no children.
My question is what share will this widow sister in law get from her husband's share of property? We are Christians. If the total property is divided into three parts which is about 30 lakhs to each son, what will her share be? Please reply with Sections that hold true for this case.
Succession among the Indian Christians is governed by the Indian Succession Act, 1925.
The property will be distributed amongst the heirs as provided in Section 33 of the Act. The widow will get 1/3rd and the balance will be distributed amongst the lineal descendants i.e., sons, sons' sons, daughters and daughters' sons etc. in equal proportion. If there are no lineal descendants, the widow will get 1/2 share and the remaining 1/2 to those who are kindred to the deceased.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Law which mandates woman employee safety by the company?
- Out on Interim bail want to know my chances to get regular bail?
- How to remove spouse name from passport
- landlord not giving advance
- Are rules imposed by the housing association applicable to residents