quesShare of deceased brother's wife from father's property, if christian?

We are three brothers. Our parents are no more. The property is in the name of our deceased father. No will was ever made. My elder brother expired few months back who had a wife and no children.


My question is what share will this widow sister in law get from her husband's share of property? We are Christians. If the total property is divided into three parts which is about 30 lakhs to each son, what will her share be? Please reply with Sections that hold true for this case.


  • ans


    Succession among the Indian Christians is governed by the Indian Succession Act, 1925.


    The property will be distributed amongst the heirs as provided in Section 33 of the Act. The widow will get 1/3rd and the balance will be distributed amongst the lineal descendants i.e., sons,  sons' sons, daughters and daughters' sons etc. in equal proportion. If there are no lineal descendants, the widow will get 1/2 share and the remaining 1/2 to those who are kindred to the deceased.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

My father given in writing with his signature on 100 rs stamp to opposite party…

sir i want to know the process /documentation ,for transfer of property which is in…

We are an Apartment Owners Association situated in Mumbai. One of our member i.e. a…

1. How can one of the owners sell a property with joint ownership ? Can…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly