Right inheriting by my sister of my mother's property.
In 2007 I purchased an apartment with my Mother as a co-buyer with the entire financing from my Salary. We were a family of four, my sister and my parents. My sister had since married but now having a straining relationship with her husband. I married in 2010, and my wife told me that my sister would have equal right to the share of the property my mother has.
Actually I have no issues giving any share to my sister, but unfortunately, I do not want her to be a bridge and the property being siphoned all the way to her husband who has no property in his name but keenly eyes on what ever my sister has and would have. My question is, do my Mom needs to make a will so that I could inherit her share of the apartment I brought with her as the co-owner?
Legally you & your mother have joint ownership of the property and your mother can dispose off her share in the property in any manner as she likes. However, she can bequeath her share of the property only to you by writing the will in your favor so that you could inherit her share which you brought with her as the co-owner. In case she dies without writing a will in your favor, then her share of the property would devolve upon all the legal heirs equally, i.e., Your father, sister and you.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Any way to figure out properties of grandfather and great grand father
- What are the right of grandson on maternal grandparents property
- Can willed property be included in family PARTITION
- Can settlement deed be revoked without the consent of the transferor
- Will was executed but brothers filed injunction suit