property ownership- transferring
I purchased a property in 2000 but the sale deed was registered in 2014. I then sold the property in 2014 itself. Am I liable for STCGT or LTCGT, since technically AND legally, I became the owner of the property only in 2013, when the sale deed was registered.
Long term capital gains tax on a property @ 20% is applicable in the event that the property is held for three years.
Your query is silent as to whether you took the possession of the house prior to the sale deed being registered in 2014.
And if you took the possession of the house at the time of purchase then sale would attract long term capital gains tax.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- How can I recover payment from client for services
- Voluntary retirement taken after 6 yrs any benefit of civil service
- How to verify pre launch offer of builder for new flat is valid
- In laws has taken my wife and kid from my home forcefully
- ECS changed by company after contract is over