Previous owners have not cleared bills.
I have a query with regards to a new property that I have purchased recently. It's only after purchasing the property we came to know that the owners have not cleared many utility bills as yet (Gas connection, Electricity bill etc). These bill have been left unpaid since past couple of months. The sale deed clearly states that the owners are suppose to clear the bills but in spite of repeated verbal request from my end they refused to do so. I was forced to pay off the electricity bill as otherwise it would lead to disconnection. I have sent written letter to Mahanagar Gas Service also attached copy of Sale deed to permanently disconnect the gas connection line and adjust the outstanding payment amount against their security deposit of the previous owners but they have refused to do the needful and are asking me to follow up with the previous owners.
The previous owners are not willing to pay off the outstanding amount nor are they willing to get the gas connection disconnected. How do we sort out this issue? I do not want to pay the outstanding amount as it's not our fault and the house has been purchased by me just 10 days back. I have a copy of letter sent to Mahanagar gas for disconnection of line, Courier receipt and confirmation that Mahanagar Gas has received my letter and the docket no. raised by them as proof. Your kind advice will be highly appreciated.
It seems that you did not carry out legal due diligence before purchasing this property. When you purchase a property you take not only the possession but also the liabilities thereof. It is your liability now to pay the outstanding bills, albeit you may recover the same from the previous owner in accordance with the law.
Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Father expired can i get his pension as i am disabled
- Terminated for no reason not paying my salary can I take action?
- care taker of the flat is not vacating the flat
- Cheque date edited and presented in bank what to do.
- Courier company refusing to delivery parcel what action can we take?