Previous owner didn't clear old bills. What should i do now?
I recently purchased a property a month back. After getting the possession of the same I realized that the previous bills are still pending such as electricity and gas bills. There was a specific point in the sale agreement that the previous and outstanding bills are to be paid by the seller.
After various verbal requests, the seller is not responding. The electricity and gas company is also not accepting my requests and threatening to cut the connection.
What can I do in such a case? Are there any judgments in my favor?
What matters is the contract entered into by the erstwhile consumer with the Board. The Board cannot seek the enforcement of contractual liability against the third party.
In your case previous owner had failed to pay. Electricity distributor as well as mahangar gas ought to take legal proceedings against previous owner.
Haryana State Electricity Board v. Hanuman Rice Mills, Dhanauri, (2010) 9 SCC 145 = AIR 2010 SC 3835
Electricity arrears do not constitute a charge over the property. Therefore in general law, a transferee of premises cannot be made liable for the dues of the previous owner/occupier.
You are not liable to pay arrears as per abovementioned court’s judgement. You can make a complaint in the consumer forum against mahanagar gas / electricity distributor.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- how to get partition of property quickly to get our share
- compensation for training service agreement
- Mother named me in will but property transferred to brother
- Sale of excess land against power of attorney
- Delay in possession of flat how can i recover my money