quesPaying installments for dead father's house. Can brothers ask share?

I am living in Delhi in a home which was given to me by my father 30 years back and house is registered by name of my father. I had 6 brother out of which 2 passed away and the installment of house is also paid by me. I also constructed the house with the permission of all.


I want to know what will be the judgement if any one of my brother demands his share from my property. Legally how strong is my case in this matter as I am still living with my family.


  • ans


    To be honest, merely making some installments for the house or contibuting for the construction would not suffice to get a clear title or exclusive rights to the property. Since after your father, the said property would devolve upon your mother, in case of her being alive, and all you brothers.


    Incase of your two brothers being no more, their share would devolve upon their legal heirs i.e., their wife and children. However, if they were unmarried, then the said property would devolve upon your mother. 


    But as you say that you have been doing so much for the family, it would be right if you sit with your family and enter into a family settlment deed wherein your family can apprreciate your efforts and award you with a bigger slice in the property.


    However, the said decision has to be mutual and it would be better if you can get the same done in writing. 


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

My father purchased a land way back in the 1980s. He was a major that…

I have a residential plot in my home town in Bankura District at west Bengal,India.…

My Father and his 4 brother used to manage the ancestral property in nadia,West Bengal.…
Dear sir mere Dada ke uncle ne 1987 me ek 10 rupaye ke stamp paper…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly