Paying installments for dead father's house. Can brothers ask share?
I am living in Delhi in a home which was given to me by my father 30 years back and house is registered by name of my father. I had 6 brother out of which 2 passed away and the installment of house is also paid by me. I also constructed the house with the permission of all.
I want to know what will be the judgement if any one of my brother demands his share from my property. Legally how strong is my case in this matter as I am still living with my family.
To be honest, merely making some installments for the house or contibuting for the construction would not suffice to get a clear title or exclusive rights to the property. Since after your father, the said property would devolve upon your mother, in case of her being alive, and all you brothers.
Incase of your two brothers being no more, their share would devolve upon their legal heirs i.e., their wife and children. However, if they were unmarried, then the said property would devolve upon your mother.
But as you say that you have been doing so much for the family, it would be right if you sit with your family and enter into a family settlment deed wherein your family can apprreciate your efforts and award you with a bigger slice in the property.
However, the said decision has to be mutual and it would be better if you can get the same done in writing.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- How to withdraw case filed in PM portal?
- transfer of property after parents death
- Divorce notice sent twice no response what action to take now
- Can tattoos and designs be registered under copyright act
- Guardians made me sign unknown papers. Took all my share in property.