quesMarried against family's wish. Can they bar me from taking my share?

My brothers and sisters are not willing to give me a share in our ancestral property because I married the one I love. We have about 50 to 55 Bigha big lands. Is my love marriage a valid reason for them not to give me a share in the property?


If I file a case will I have to bring witnesses? No one will support my case in the family as I married against their wish and they are against me now.


  • ans


    You cannot be denied your share in property merely because your marriage was by your own choice.


    One acquires an interest in the ancestral property since birth, therefore you are legally entitled to your share in the property and you can file a suit for partition and permanent and mandatory injunction to claim your share.


    Yes, you shall have to adduce evidence to prove that you are a member of the family, however, it is not relevant if the family members do not support your case as all you have to prove is the fact that you are a coparcener i.e. a member of the family and sharer in the ancestral property.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

I had purchase my flat of 2BHK in science city area Ahmedabad Gujarat with terrace…

Is Land leasing for agriculture legal in U.P.If yes, then how much land can a…

I want to buy a gifted property. I want legal advice as per the below…

I am looking for a legal opinion on my rights over my parental property both…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Vipin Kumar Malhotra

  Saket Court Complex
 Experience: 18 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly