quesIs family tree an important document for verification?

I have booked a flat in Delhi. The builder provided me with all the necessary documents for doing a legal verification. The property (land) belonged to a joint family. However, the builder claims that he has not information about the joint family. Is the information required for taking the final call? Is it ok to go ahead with the property if the builder is unable to provide info about family?

• ansIt would be advisable to get the family background to determine if builder has obtained rightful ownership as the property in question is a joint property and in many instances rightful shareholders are kept out of the deal. Even if you get a search done and check the mutation records it would be difficult to determine who were the actual do owners. We would not recommend to go ahead with this property without knowing the devolution and distribution of shares of property among its family members.

Any family member can subsequently take legal proceedings for challenging sale of property to builder if he has not been given his share of the sale proceeds.