How to divide father in law's property who died without Will equally?
My father-in-law has left behind a residential property after his death. There is no Will by him. His wife is also dead & not made any Will. They have 4 daughters, one of which has also expired. She has 2 major children. The other 3 daughters are married. The 1st daughter has two major children. The 2nd daughter has one major child. The 3rd had 2 children, one of which expired 2 years ago unmarried. Her other child is married.
Please guide about sharing pattern of property.
The property is in possession of 2 daughters who are living on the Ground and 1st floor respectively, one not agreeing for division.
There are two acts which govern intestate succession (without will) namely:
a. Hindu Succession Act
b. Indian Succession Act
In your case, both these Acts prescribe the same devolution of property. The property shall be divided equally amongst all 4 daughters i.e. 1/4th share each.
Now, as one daughter has expired, her share will be equally divided amongst her two children i.e. they will get 1/8th share each. It is immaterial with respect to the children of other daughters because as they are alive they themselves shall get 1/4th share each.
So as we can understand, you are the husband of one of the daughters who is not staying in the house. So your wife is entitled to 1/4th share of the property and she can file a suit for partition and permanent and mandatory injunction making the other two daughter and the children of the pre-deceased daughter a party to the suit.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Can son object the sale of property by mother Willed by father to her?
- Husband wants divorce how can a wife recover cash given in marriage
- Promoter not giving lease agreement
- Society secretary forcing me to remove second car or pay fine
- What to do since bank not approving home loan as it is a land?