quesHow to ask equal division in our father in laws wealth who is alive?

My question is around the fair distribution of property and other goods by parents for their two sons. My father in law who is still earning (age 60) is being biased in his approach with his two sons. He had given us (elder son and his wife) Rs. 40 Lacs for buying a house 2 years back and is now giving Rs. 85 Lacs to my brother in law to buy his house, as he has lower capacity of home loan approval and repayment.


Other than house, he keeps giving gold, car etc to my brother-in law, sometimes hiding from us. My question is – is there any legal way that I can question our equal entitlement on his wealth?


  • ans


    No, you cannot claim any right over your father's self acquired property.


    Any individual is entitled to dispose off his self-acquired property in any manner he / she wants. Therefore, he may give you a lesser share and your younger brother more, you cannot question the same.


    However, if he is distributing the ancestral property unequally then you can file a suit for partition.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

Could you please provide the legal advise on the below query? Can I use LED…
I want to sale my flat so i applied for NOC to society as my…
I have given my property(house) to my younger son by consent of my elder son…
As per aforesaid subject of matter we are three brothers and two sister total five…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly