×

quesHow to ask equal division in our father in laws wealth who is alive?

My question is around the fair distribution of property and other goods by parents for their two sons. My father in law who is still earning (age 60) is being biased in his approach with his two sons. He had given us (elder son and his wife) Rs. 40 Lacs for buying a house 2 years back and is now giving Rs. 85 Lacs to my brother in law to buy his house, as he has lower capacity of home loan approval and repayment.

Other than house, he keeps giving gold, car etc to my brother-in law, sometimes hiding from us. My question is – is there any legal way that I can question our equal entitlement on his wealth?

No, you cannot claim any right over your father's self acquired property.

Any individual is entitled to dispose off his self-acquired property in any manner he / she wants. Therefore, he may give you a lesser share and your younger brother more, you cannot question the same.

However, if he is distributing the ancestral property unequally then you can file a suit for partition.