How can we give up our share in ancestral property to brother/sister?
My husband wants to give up all his share in his ancestral property and other inheritance. This includes movable and immovable assets. What is the process for the same?
Can we send his brother and sister an affidavit stating that his share is being given to them?
Your husband needs to execute a relinquishment deed.
Relinquishment deed is a legal document/instrument where a person legally or formally gives up or releases his legal rights of the said property being relinquished in the name of some other person.
If a property has joint owners, for example Hindu joint family property, one joint owner may give up his/her rights over the property in favor of another. This is referred to as a release/relinquishment.
It is a transaction that is similar to a transfer and amounts to a transfer. :
A release of rights in immovable property should be by a written deed and registered. The registration takes place in the office of the Registrar within whose jurisdiction [the area over which the Registrar exercises his/her authority] the property is situated.
Procedure: Stamp duty must be paid as per the laws of your state, depending on the value of the property and you can even get the document registered.
You can also do gift deed in case few stares do not recognize relinquishment deed but you have to pay exorbitant court fees on the same.
Kindly contact us for any further details and action.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Employee as a guarantor for loan to company now harassed by banks
- Met with an accident 5 months rest can I ask for my salary
- legal action if another lady's name mentioned in my passport as wife
- Wife is not cooperating want to file for Legal separation
- Cut a tree without permission of panchayat what action can be taken