quesHolding posesson of Govt land since 1975: What are consequences

1) Adjacent to my house, has been vacant Govt.land (around 100sq yds) that I enclosed with hedge and made a garden 2) Can anyone get it vacated (after 39 years of my possession without any objection from anyone) 3) How can I prove that my possession has been so long (will the annual rings in plants of hedge confirm that or something else)

• ansMaking of a fence, or improvment is an exclusive possession and not adverse possession. Since you are not staying over that piece of land,  in the eyes of law you cannot claim a title of the adverse possessor that too when the land belongs to the state.however,you can still contest a civil suit claiming your title over the land.

• ansHolding the possession of a land of government will not grant you a clear title,after years if the government officials comes to know they will seek the Poseidon from you .Till they do not know you can enjoy the possession ,there is no way you can claim it as a right.And if you contact that particular department which hold the land ,they will come to know that you are illegally occupying the land,best is to stay quiet.

Advocate Ritesh Isaac

Bengali Market, Delhi

• ansMaking of a fence, or improvment is an exclusive possession and not adverse possession. Since you are not staying over that piece of land, in the eyes of law you cannot claim a title of the adverse possessor that too when the land belongs to the state.however,you can still contest a civil suit claiming your title over the land.

Advocate Richa Relhan

Commonwealth Games Village, Delhi

• ansAdverse Possession requires continuous possession in opposition to the world. Only Government can file a case of acquisition/ recovery of land.

Advocate Ashima Puri

Saket District Court, Delhi