quesDoes brothers have share in elder's brothers property?

case history in brief...Grand Father (land approx. 10 acre + old house): he had 3 sons (elder son was in govt service and other two sons was in agriculture works). Elder son was only a person who had taken all the responsibility for fulfill the needs of the entire family member. He had build a new home at place after destroy old home & did all expense in his sisters marriage. No any income from the agriculture. After his death, his brother's family asking for shares in all assets which was made by elder brother. I think the assets made by elder brother should go to his family. Please advise!!

  • ans

    If the house made by the elder brother is a self acquired property i.e he purchased the land with his own income and constructed house with own income, then the other two brother will have no right on the property.

    However , if the house build is on the land which is an ancestral property or land of your father, then the other two brothers, will as per Section 10 of Hindu Succession Act  (assuming you are a Hindu) will have right on the property and can demand their share in the property.

  • ansThe brothers will have a share in the ancestral properties inherited from the grandfather. However in so far as the self acquired properties of the eldest brother are concerned the others will have no share in the same and the same will fall entirely to the share of his wife and children etc.

    Advocate Rajat Joseph

      Nizamuddin East, Delhi

  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

Respected Sir, We are 4 sisters and 1 brother. All 3 sisters signed donated the…

We have a house co-owned by my mother, my sister and myself. In January'16 my…
I have bought ready to move flat in jaipuria sunrise greens society in year 2014.…
Hello, Background: I am selling a property which is co-owned by my mother. The property…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly