Does brother have equal right in property w/o taking care of father?
My father died without writing a will. We are three brothers but none of them except me took care of papaji. Now, they are asking for equal rights in his property. What is the solution?
Assuming you are a Hindu, you will be governed by the Hindu Succession Act. If your father died without a Will, then as per Section 10 of the said Act, all the legal heirs will have equal rights in the property. The Legal heir for your father's property are:
1. Father's widow,
2 . Father's mother,
3. Son and daughter.
The only solution you have with you is that all the legal heirs relinquishes their share in favor of you by executing a relinquish deed. Further, the relinquish deed needs to be registered before the sub registrar.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Second wife of father and her daughter are physically abusive to him?
- What is the format to file a petition for domestic violence?
- Grandson's right on grandmother's property
- Landlord serving notice to ex employees of company
- Legal action against wife for cheating