quesDivision of Grandfather's Property

My grandfather had bought a property where we all lived. Now that he is no more, I want to know the process of the property getting divided. Will this property go to the grandson completely or would it be divided between the sons & daughters in the family?

• ansThe self acquired property of your grandfather shall devolve upon his legal heirs i.e. wife, sons, daughters each one share. If there is predeceased son/ daughter then the share of such legal heir shall devolve further on his/her legal heirs as per Hindu Succession Act.

If the grandfather dies without a WILL, then after his death the property will vest equally between his wife and children. The grandson cannot claim any right in the property so long as he himself does not qualify to be a legal heir. If the father of grandson is dead then the share of former will further vest to the grandson.