×

quesCheated by relative into signing relinquishment deed. Can i challenge?

My mother and my sister cheated with me and got a relinquishment deed signed by me unknowingly. I was out of Delhi and was called in 2006 to sign some papers to submit a property tax for a property inherited by me, my sister and my mother jointly after my father’s death.

Later, it was sold by my mother and a new property bought in my sister’s name. Now can I challenge this fraud after 8 years or is it time bound. What other options do I have to get back my share in the property?

Yes, you can challenge the validity of the Relinquishment deed.

Firstly, register a complaint against them in the nearest Police Station for the offence of cheating under the Indian Penal Code.

Thereafter, file a partition suit claiming your share in the property which was sold by getting your signatures on the relinquishment deed. You shall have to adduce evidence to show that you were not aware about the deed while signing it and that your mother and sister have committed a fraud and cheated you into signing the said deed. If there is sufficient evidence, then you shall succeed.