quesCheated by relative into signing relinquishment deed. Can i challenge?

My mother and my sister cheated with me and got a relinquishment deed signed by me unknowingly. I was out of Delhi and was called in 2006 to sign some papers to submit a property tax for a property inherited by me, my sister and my mother jointly after my father’s death.


Later, it was sold by my mother and a new property bought in my sister’s name. Now can I challenge this fraud after 8 years or is it time bound. What other options do I have to get back my share in the property?


  • ans


    Yes, you can challenge the validity of the Relinquishment deed.


    Firstly, register a complaint against them in the nearest Police Station for the offence of cheating under the Indian Penal Code.


    Thereafter, file a partition suit claiming your share in the property which was sold by getting your signatures on the relinquishment deed. You shall have to adduce evidence to show that you were not aware about the deed while signing it and that your mother and sister have committed a fraud and cheated you into signing the said deed. If there is sufficient evidence, then you shall succeed.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

My great grand father established a trust and donated his properties to it. After him…

Father bought a plot and got it registered on mother's name. Now our father expired.…

can married daughter take father porperty on her maiden name ?

What action we can take or a judge should take, if a lady (opposite party…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly