Can step mother sell dead father's property w/o asking all sons?
I am the elder son, my father did 2 marriages and my mother was his second wife, my step mom has 1son and my motther has me and my two younger sisters. I was 7 or 8 years old when my parents died, and my step mom says that they commited sucide. My father has a property which was on my grand mother name, he transfered it to my step mom a year before his death.
A tenant used to live in that house and now when I asked him to vacate my house, the tenant said that my step mother sold the property to him. We are not aware of it and she sold it without our intimation for a very less amount. What can I do now?
If the property of grandmother was inherited from your grandfather, then it is your ancestral property and by virtue of Section 6, the daughter of a coparcener becomes a coparcener by birth in her own rights and liabilities in the same manner as the son.
The declaration in Section 6 that the daughter of the coparcener shall have same rights and liabilities in the coparcenary property as she would have been a son is unambiguous and unequivocal,” which has been pronounced by various judgement. In such case you can give legal notice demanding eviction. If they fail to vacate the premises you can file suit for eviction.
But if the property is not inherited by your grandfather and is a property of your grandmother, then it will not be an ancestral property and thus Section 6 will not be applicable. Then in such case we will have to examine, how the property was transferred to your stepmother. Only after examining the paper we will be able to give you legal advise.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Whether uncle's wife legally eligible to sell uncle's property
- Procedure to appeal in the consumer court
- whether property registration can be done as per the khatha records?
- What is the status of old liabilities in purchase by court (DRT) order
- What are the Provisions for arrest U/s 354