quesCan step mother sell dead father's property w/o asking all sons?

I am the elder son, my father did 2 marriages and my mother was his second wife, my step mom has 1son and my motther has me and my two younger sisters. I was 7 or 8 years old when my parents died, and my step mom says that they commited sucide. My father has a property which was on my grand mother name, he transfered it to my step mom a year before his death.


A tenant used to live in that house and now when I asked him to vacate my house, the tenant said that my step mother sold the property to him. We are not aware of it and she sold it without our intimation for a very less amount. What can I do now?


  • ans


    If the property of grandmother was inherited from your grandfather, then it is your ancestral property and by virtue of Section 6, the daughter of a coparcener becomes a coparcener by birth in her own rights and liabilities in the same manner as the son.


    The declaration in Section 6 that the daughter of the coparcener shall have same rights and liabilities in the coparcenary property as she would have been a son is unambiguous and unequivocal,” which has been pronounced by various judgement. In such case you can give legal notice demanding eviction. If they fail to vacate the premises you can file suit for eviction.


    But if the property is not inherited by your grandfather and is a property of your grandmother, then it will not be an ancestral property and thus Section 6 will not be applicable. Then in such case we will have to examine, how the property was transferred to your stepmother. Only after examining the paper we will be able to give you legal advise. 


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

There was a plot in my mother's name. It was bought in 1966. It was…

Housing finance company has not returned my original conveyance deed even after closure of loan.…

I am muslim and we have a house in telangana state in my dads name,…
i am residing in paghdi system building, i have 1 room on 2nd floor and…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly