quesCan society expel our membership for non payment of monthly charges?

My society is charging exorbitant monthly & extra charges and when we refuse to pay they say will initiate action against some section of Maharashtra societies act that can expel our membership of society.


Please guide Asap.


  • ans


    Societies are more or less of three types, i.e., Cooperative Societies, Group Housing or by a Builder and hence are governed by the concerned law for the time being in force in conjunction with the Memorandum and Articles of the Society, which are the supreme guiding authority for the management of the society.


    Further, in case of builder societies, refrence is also to the terms and conditions agreed between the builder and the user of the flat.


    If the Management of the society, by a majority passes a resolution, defining the quantum of the maintainance charges, in a GBM, then the affiliated members are governed and bound by the said resolution and have to pay the same. However, whether the quantum is correct or the charges liable to be paid or not, have to be as per the MOU & AOU, if defined. Further, expulsion is also governed by the MOU and AOU, if the same is provided for therein. There may be a punitive measure of penal charges.


    However, in case you fail to pay the charges, the max the society can do is curtain the common services to you, but it cancellation of membership, shall in no way affect your title or legal right in the flat/society. 


    Again we would require a lot more details from you, inter-alia, what kind of society, place, MOU/AOU, Builders agreement, what kind of charges etc. to help you better. 


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

I am a tenant in a 3bhk flat in Nariana. That flat was disputed and…
i bought a property 20 years back , i was 22 year old at that…

It has been a practice in India to allocate some land for the use of…

Panchyat Partition is executed on 1990 by father which has equal partition details for 3…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly