quesCan owner sell to 3rd party after making power of attorney in my name?

Can the owner of a land selling it via Power Of Attorney sell it to someone else after getting into a POA with one party? I am purchasing a open plot by taking a home loan from a person who is asking for half the amount to get into an Agreement to sell and is not giving anything in writing.


I plan to make the full payment to him now and make the GPA - General Power of Attorney. Is this engagement safe and will the bank give loan on this GPA?


Can the owner sell it to another person after he makes the GPA in my name?


  • ans


    After the recent decision in Suraj Lamps case by the Hon'ble Supreme Court, sale through a combination of WILL / GPA / SPA / ATS is not a sale in the eyes of law. Further the buyer will not get perfect title of the property. The only way to purchase property is through a valid Sale Deed / Conveyance Deed duly registered in the local sub-registrar's office.


    Since the decision is applicable in your case, the Power of Attorney will give you limited title and the current owner can further grant power of attorney. Also the banks will not grant any advance/loan on such properties after the aforesaid decision. You still can check with the concerned bank for clarification.


    The seller will be at liberty to sell the property to any other person since the effect of a GPA has been clarified by the decision of Hon'ble Supreme Court.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

My mother has transferred the flat on my name through gift deed,Once it was done…
In the year 1985; we moved into a very small house in Mumbai measuring approximately…
My grandfather was purchased a plot in 1960s from a person named Mr. Rambelash. Rambelash…
need to transfer agriculture land to the brother's name from the sister's name? What will…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly