Can my sister challenge, if i take all father's money as i am nominee?
My father expired 6 to 7 months back. In 90% bank accounts I am a nominee. My sisters have the papers of all banks. We are not sure if there is a Will because the locker is yet to be operated.
Should I claim the whole amount where I am the nominee or should I get into an agreement with my sisters? If I claim the amount where I am a nominee, can my sisters challenge it later?
The amount is around 60 lakhs in movable assets. How do we proceed?
You and your sisters have an equal share in your father’s property as per the Hindu Succession Act, in case he died intestate (without will).
Now, if you claim the entire amount as you are the nominee, then you sisters can challenge the same in the Court of law and you should be liable to pay the amount of their share to them. As a nominee, you hold the property in trust for all the legal heirs and you are merely custodian of the same.
You need to first check whether there is a Will. In case there is no Will, then you should enter into a settlement with your sisters dividing the property or else you can file a suit for partition in case you can’t reach a settlement.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Use of trade Name but not trademark
- CAN I TAKE STAY ON AUCTION FROM DRT ?
- Sale deed and layout plan mismatch, what should I do ?
- Father's property seperation - what is the Share for a daughter
- My mentally retarded brother damaged my neighbors car what can we do