quesCan I transfer my right in inherited property w/o asking other heirs?

We are 8 brothers and sisters and have inherited a house from our mother who died intestate. One of the inheritor is staying in the house. The remaining seven is staying in various cities in India and abroad. We the seven siblings want to transfer our property rights.


Is it permissible? Do we need to take the consent of the brother who is staying in the house? Can we transfer it to any person from outside the family? What is the correct legal approach? Please advice.


  • ans


    You can transfer the property outside your family by virtue of Sale Deed, however before that you must know your portion of share, so you will have to seek partition. by a family settlement, by a registered instrument of partition, by oral arrangement by the parties, or by a decree of the Court. When a suit for partition is filed in a Court, a preliminary decree is passed determining shares of the members of the family.


    The final decree follows, thereafter, allotting specific properties and directing the partition of the immovable properties by metes and bounds. Unless and until the final decree is passed and the allottees of the shares are put in possession of the respective property, the partition is not complete. The preliminary decree which determines shares does not bring about the final partition.


    After partition, you can sell your portion of share to anyone you desire.


    Kindly contact us for any further details and action.        


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

Hi, I'm one of the owners of a flat in a gated community of 223…
Is it advisable to buy a petrol pump which is situated on a leased land

Dear sir,i am from a rural area i.e korkor village in Cuttack district.i have made a…

Please let me know there is a land in the name of my father and…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly