quesCan father give property to only one child? What objections possible?

My father bought a property 10 years back and he has 4 children.

He wants to transfer it to one of his children.

Can he do it through gift deed and can other children raise objection? Please help

  • ans

    First, we need to ascertain whether the said property is self-acquired property of your father or out of proceeds from ancestral property.


    As we understand your situation there are two possible outcomes to it-


     If the property acquired by your father is his self-acquired property he can transfer/gift it to anyone he likes. In this case your father has the exclusive right to transfer/gift the property to any one of his children at the exclusion of others. The others do not have any right to raise an objection in this case.


    On the other hand, if the property acquired by your father is out of the proceeds from any ancestral property, all children have an equal share in it. In this case your father does not have the right to gift the said property to any one of his children and the rest can raise objections.

  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

We had our grand father property , agriculture lands in Bhopal which was being controlled…

My brother Mr.A died on 20th feb.2005 and my mother died on 10th Jan.2007.My mother…

Sir i am resident of , my father registered certain property in my name say…
Sir, I am a resident of Uttarakhand. I want to rent one of my commercial…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly