Can father give inherited property only to 1 child? How to avoid it?
Can my parents give their property to only one of their child or should it be divided equally among all the children? They have their own acquired property as well as property inherited by my father as a single heir.
For the inherited property, can he dispose it off at his will or does it automatically get divided between all his legal heirs? If not, how to get the share in the inherited property?
With respect to self-acquired property, your parents can dispose off the property as per their wish. They are entitled to create a will and the devolution shall be as per the Will. However, in case there is no will, then it shall devolve as per the Hindu Succession Act and you shall be entitled to the share as per the Act.
With respect to the property inherited by your father, it is essential as to whether the said property is ancestral or coparcenary because only then you have a right since birth, if the property was no ancestral or coparcenary and devolved on you father in his individual capacity then you cannot claim a share in it as it becomes self acquired property in the hands of your father and he can dispose it off as per his wishes.
If it is ancestral or coparcenary then you can file a suit for partition of the property and get your share.
Kindly contact us for any further details and action.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Does report without inspectors sign is valid?
- Husband filed for divorce on the basis of cruelty
- Married to homosexual guy by fraud. What are my options now?
- How to retrieve money when Cheque is given but bank account is closed
- Company laptop stolen what can i do