×

quesCan daughter claim share in ancestral property?

My grandfather executed a WILL in the form of a notary which was not registered. This property was ancestral. He had 2 sons and a daughter. The property according to the notary was divided between the two sons who've been enjoying these property for 10 years now. The property was further divided amoung their children. Recently, the daughter sent a notice claiming that she was not given any share in the property. She got married 40 years back and is well settled. Does she have a right to oppose the WILL now?

• ansIt is always advisable to probate the WILL. It is a judicial proof that the WILL is genuine. Your grand father could only have bequeathed a self acquired property by WILL. For ancestral properties, your grand father could only have bequeathed his share.

The daughter can claim the share in property since it is ancestral and she has a right in it. She has a valid reason to challenge the WILL.