quesCan a christian widow get a share in the father-in-law's property?

Can christian issue less widow get a share in the FIL's property? We have a property in my deceased father's name. Mother is also expired. I recently lost my elder brother also. I have one younger brother. Both of us have our families and living in our father's property. No will was made either by my father or my mother.


The property was self acquired by my father. My SIL is claiming a part in the property now. What does the Christian/India law say about a Christian issue less widow getting a share in the FIL's property?


Which section holds good in this situation.


  • ans


    First of all please specify, what do you mean by FIL?


    You will be governed by the Indian Succession Act. Under Section 37 of the Indian Succession Act 1925, clearly provides for equal distribution of the properties among the children, if the father dies without making a Will.


    In view of the above law, you have equal rights in your father property.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

I have my shop in kolkata and before few days back a part of my…
I am Hindu, married since 18 years ,there are 3 residential houses in my name…
Owner of land sells his property by plotting the land leaving some area for park&adjacent…
if house is on my motherinlaws and husband's name..do i have any rights to live...or…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly