×

quesBuilder increased saleable area during possession

Hi, I booked a 2BHK 1300 sqft apartment in Bangalore in Feb'2013. Now builder sent a mail saying that there is a change in sale-able area (revised to 1350 sqft) and asking for 1 lac rupees more. The justification he gave is that they needed to do some deck slab construction on recommendation from fire department.

So my question is how legal or normal it is to increase salable area after the deal is done. Also how could it be verified if there is actually an increase in the sale-able area? Also can we take any legal action against the builder or we supposed to pay anyhow in case there is a valid increase?

• ansAccording to concerned Act, after plans and specifications are disclosed,no alteration or additions without consent of persons who have agreed to take the flats, the promoter shall not make any alteration in the structures described therein, in respect of the flat or flats which are agreed to be taken, without the previous consent of that person.

Or if any unauthorized change in the construction is brought to the notice of the promoter within a period of one year from the date of handing over possession, it shall wherever possible, be rectified by the promoter without further charge to the person who have agreed to take the flats, and in other cases such persons shall be entitled to receive reasonable compensation for such change.