quesAre prepayment charge applicable on plot loans at floating rates?

I took a residential plot loan at floating rate from HDFC about 6 years back . I'm now doing a balance transfer to another bank , but HDFC tells me that since it is a plot loan and there has been no construction on the plot , they will charge me a prepayment share (2%).


As I understand both RBI and NHB had issued orders not to charge prepayment charges for home loans on floating rate, but HDFC tells me it is not valid for plot loans. Please help with the correct advise.


  • ans


    In case of ADJUSTABLE RATE HOME LOAN [ARHL] and  DUAL RATE HOME LOAN [DRHL], during the period of applicability of the variable rate of interest no prepayment charges shall be payable for partial or full prepayments irrespective of the source.


    However, for Plot Loans, no prepayment charges are payable if the prepayment is made within 3 years from the date of first disbursement of the loan, but in case the prepayments is made after 3 years from the date of first disbursement the same shall bear a prepayment charge of 2% of the amounts being so prepaid if the house is not constructed. HDFC shall seek proof of completion of house construction as deemed appropriate.


    As your loan tenure has exceeded 3 years (6 years as mentioned by you), the foreclosure of the same would attract applicable prepayment charges.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

Is it OK to buy a site in vyalikaval nagawara bda approved layout as SC…
I need help from u regarding my grandma property... As my grandma had one son…
i have xerox documents of my own property it is in my name only in…
i am hindu. Can i challenge my grandfathers will? my grandfather has 3 son (including…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Vipin Kumar Malhotra

  Saket Court Complex
 Experience: 18 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  High Court
 Experience: 16 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly