quesCar impounded by the police with No FIR for the accident

On 5th May 8:30 pm A man suddenly runs in front of my car & is knocked down I take him to the hospital & spend a few thousands to save his life Police has detained the car in the police station with No FIR .As the man who was knocked down is from another state He has no relative or friend to be his side So I am taking care of him night & day & soon he will be discharged.I went to the SI requesting him to get the man statement but he is not interested.what should i do to get my car released from the police station ? Plss advice

• ansA motor accident has two facets, one is the commission of criminal offence and the other is compensation claim. The person responsible for causing the accident by negligent driving is liable to be booked for criminal offence, further liable to pay compensation to the victim.

In your case the police can book you for driving rashly and causing grievous hurt to victim. Following an accident the police take both the vehicles — of the accused and the victim — into its possession when FIR is filed.The vehicles would remain in the police station as they were part of case property.

However if the FIR is registered then you will have to move an application under Motor Vehicle Act to release the car.