quesCar impounded by the police with No FIR for the accident

On 5th May 8:30 pm A man suddenly runs in front of my car & is knocked down I take him to the hospital & spend a few thousands to save his life Police has detained the car in the police station with No FIR .As the man who was knocked down is from another state He has no relative or friend to be his side So I am taking care of him night & day & soon he will be discharged.I went to the SI requesting him to get the man statement but he is not interested.what should i do to get my car released from the police station ? Plss advice

  • ans

    A motor accident has two facets, one is the commission of criminal offence and the other is compensation claim. The person responsible for causing the accident by negligent driving is liable to be booked for criminal offence, further liable to pay compensation to the victim.

    In your case the police can book you for driving rashly and causing grievous hurt to victim. Following an accident the police take both the vehicles — of the accused and the victim — into its possession when FIR is filed.The vehicles would remain in the police station as they were part of case property.

    However if the FIR is registered then you will have to move an application under Motor Vehicle Act to release the car.


  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Motor Accident Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Motor Accident lawyers in India

Motor Accident Lawyers in India

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

Advocate Deepak Pandey

  Patiala House Court
 Experience: 18 years

Advocate Navneet Singh Chauhan

 Experience: 5 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly