Repairing of roof of a rented house
We are four separate families living in a rented house in Baghbazar, (Kolkata) for so many years. But we deposit rent to Rent Controller as our landlord is dead. It is a three-storied building with a roof on top. One of the families reside on this roof top, and have made rooms there. But this is not the issue as it was settled between them and the landlord. Problem is that the roof is now damaged, as the building being 85 years old. So every year when monsoon comes, it literally make us cry, because our portion is just below their portion. Our portion is already damaged because of water. The condition is even much poor now as water falls from the ceiling even in dry weather. We requested them to repair but they always ignore, just refuse to do that. Their logic is that the roof is ours, so it is our duty to repair (however they use it as if it is their own private property and none of us are allowed to enter the portion). Now we are ready to repair it all by ourselves at our own cost, but now also, we are prevented from doing so.
Even they are not allowing us to show the damaged condition of the roof by our constructor. They are creating so many obstacles and we think they will do the same thing in future when we will start repairing the roof. They are creating some false allegations so that we can not enter their portion. They are telling us to show police permission and permission of Calcutta Corporation. We don't know what to do now. We can not file suit against them because we can not afford litigation cost, and we don't want that. The only thing we want is to stop falling water from ceiling and our portion from being damaged, that is also, peacefully. But they are such people who don't care about conciliation or mediation. But we are being suffered for years. Please tell us what to do and what steps we can take now. We really want to get rid of this serious problem immediately, because monsoon is coming. Please tell us what to do if any one of them, or other tenants of our house create or try to create problem or obstacle to prevent us from repairing.
You can submit an application to the Building Department of Kolkata Municipal Corporation and also to the Rent Controller with praying the direction to the landlord for necessary repairing.If they would not take any action then you can send a Legal Notice to the landlord calling him to get permission to repair the roof,failing which you have to file a Declaration Suit in City Civil Court for Court's order.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- To we have to pay any property tax on the remaining amount
- My husband is cheating on me. What are my legal rights?
- Cant pay credit card bill received legal notice from bank what to do
- I was forced to sign an undertaking and a cheque. now threatening me
- How to sell partly owned property.