×

quesprovisions in Mumbai Rent Control Act for protection of Sub tenants.

Is there provision in the Mumbai Rent Control Act for safeguarding the interest of the sub tenant ?Can present tenant can removed me after re-development of the bldg ? Presently, I am a Sub tenant in the Hotel since last 54 years,and paying a rent regularly . Now the bldg. is a pagdi nature.

As per the Mumbai Rent Control Act, sub tenant can get protection only when the premises or any part thereof have been lawfully sub-let  or where sub-tenancy is permitted by a contract between the landlord and the tenant.

Further, as per the act, if the landlord requires the property for his bonafide need, then the tenant can be removed after the re- development.

• ansSub tenancy is barred

Advocate Amit Rathi

Shivajinagar, Pune