quesMaintenance charges when the premises is less than even 500 sq.ft

I am 85 years old and staying in the building since last 50 years+. My landlord has given me a bill to pay taxes and maintainace arrears from 2008 till today amounting Rs. 60,000+ (while the rent I am paying today is Rs. 193 for the premises which is less than 600 sq.ft (it is in Shivaji Park area, Mumbai -28. Can you please help/guide me. I am 85 years of age and a poor retired bank official from a local co-op Bank. Want should i do?

With respect to bills pertaining to taxes such Corporation Tax or other property Tax, the owner is liable to pay.

However regarding maintenance charges, legally a tenant is required to pay.

So we suggest you write a letter to landlord stating that you are liable to pay maintenance charges. Further, also please ask the owner to charge the maintenance charges on yearly basis.