Landlord refusing to return advance money. What possible action?
I work for a nationalized bank and my bank provides us lease for accommodation. We liked a flat in Gurgaon and the landlord lives in Mumbai.
On recommendation of the broker, the landlord talked to us over phone and agreed for the lease deed. However, he asked us to make an advance payment of Rs 10000/- for whitewashing purposes and we transferred the amount to his account.
Later on he had some issues with the lease, so we asked him to return the amount i.e. Rs 10000/- so that we could search for an apartment somewhere else.
Now the landlord refuses to return the amount. What can I do?
We will have to see that how you made the payment of Rs.10,000/-. If you have made the payment vide cheque then you can send him a legal notice, thereby demanding your Rs.10,000/-.
If he fails to make the payment within 15 days, then you can file a criminal complaint under Section 420 for cheating and file a suit for recovery.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Can i become company director at the age of 20 year and form contract?
- Gave oral divorce and married again what rights from second husband
- Builder not giving possession can I file case in consumer court
- How can the looted jewellery be recovered if criminal is caught
- Whether fitting hidden camera at workplace legal?