quesLandlord not repairing the maindoor of house. How to get him to do it?

The room where I am staying with my Mom in New Delhi is very unsafe because the main door can breakdown anytime and my landlord is not listening to me. Can I do anything regarding this legally? Please help.

  • ans

    In case your monthly rent is less that Rs.3500/- , you may send a legal notice under Section 44 of the Delhi Rent Control Act which provides remedy for every landlord to keep the premises in good and tenable conditions and to get the same repaired if needed, from time to time. On failure to do so, within a reasonable time, after sending the notice in writing, the tenant may himself / herself make the required repairs and deduct the expenses of such repairs from the rent or otherwise recover them from the landlord.


    However, in case your monthly rent exceeds Rs.3500/-, subject to the terms and conditions of your rent agreement, you may issue a written letter / notice to the landlord to get the same repaired / replaced, failing which you can file a suit for mandatory injunction seeking directions from the court against the landlord to get the same repaired.

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Landlord/Tenant lawyers in India

Similar questions

House owner is not providing Rental agreement as well as PAN. When ever I am…

What action can I take if Landlord is denying to give back the security deposit…

i moved to delhi 4 months back i was staying with one of my friend.…
Sir my tenant is not paying rent or electricity charges for last 6 months &…

Landlord/Tenant Lawyers in India

Advocate T Kalaiselvan

 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Rajat Joseph

  Nizamuddin East
 Experience: 15 years

Advocate Meena Shastri

  Koni Road
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Swapnil Jamkar

  Chhatrapati Square
 Experience: 8 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly