landlord deducting security as notice not given
I took a flat on rent; the agreement starting from 12th June, 2014; for a period of 11 months. It was agreed by both the parties that notice period of 1 month to be given in written and rent of 1 month to be deducted from security deposit while vacating the flat.
Current situation - We continued living there till 30th May 2015. Thus making it 11 months and 18 days. But our owner is deducting 1 month of rent for painting charges as well as 15 days rent as we didn't give notice period. I think the agreement is terminated by efflux of time and we should not give the extra 15 days rent. Also, what if we have paid entire 30 days rent of May 2015 month also. Should the owner deduct any amount from security deposit?
What are the legal steps that can be taken by us as tenants to prevent such injustice.
You can ask him to give your security deposit back first in good terms. Since you were to give a notice before evicting and you didn't give you need to pay 15 days rent only and not more. In case of painting charges you need to pay as mentioned in agreement. If not written don't pay.
Issue a legal notice and then file a case for getting back your amount and a criminal case for the same.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Can elder brother claim my fathers property alone?
- Procedure for mortgage registration without possession
- Contract laws and Coercion in contractual laws
- Delay in possession want to cancel my booking but no response
- Can my daughter get divorced in India without travelling from Dubai