Can mother ask for her share in rent separately from tenant?
After my father's death (no will), we four legal heirs (3 sons and a mother) agreed on a rent settlement with the tenant to provide the full rent to the eldest son and that he would deposit 3/4th share of the money into our mother's account.
After some family dispute, my mother approached the tenant to send the 3/4th share to her separately, which the tenant agreed on but with a consent letter of all 4 legal heirs. The eldest brother did not agree to it and is not giving consent to the new settlement.
According to the law, can the mother demand 3/4th share of the rent from the tenant? Can the tenant demand consent of all legal heirs, as it will not be possible. Please advice.
First of all, we suggest you to apply for a legal heir certificate. A legal heir certificate is issued by the government for various purposes like to establish a relationship with the deceased and also, to establish an ownership.
Thereafter, you will have to execute a fresh rent agreement, which will be in the name of the four legal heir as specified in the Legal heir certificate.
The rent agreement then should specify that the rent will be divided 1/4th. This implies that you will have to specify that consideration will be made in the following manner in favor of the following person vide cheque.
Yes, your mother can claim her share, but in a proper manner which has been mentioned aforesaid.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Mutual divorce filed but wife not appearing after in second motion
- Can i get terminated from job because of the 498 case filed against me
- Co-operative housing society not co-operating.
- Farm land and house sold by father to his 2 sons out of 5 sons
- Writ for quashing of FIR rejected can I file a writ again