quesWoman being asked to work during maternity leave

My friend delivered her baby on 31/3/15 & went on mat leave from 30/3/15. She is now getting emails from her boss (the CEO of her company) asking her to take up some work as it has been 6 weeks since delivery. He has also been pushing her to alter her contractual work days from 5 days per week to half :

1. Can the employer ask her legally to start working even thought her 12 weeks of maternity leave are not over?

2. The legally allowed maternity leave is 12 weeks, correct?

3. What is the best way for my friend to reply to her boss? 4. Can she sue for hostile work environment?

  • ans

    1 Can the employer ask her legally to start working even thought her 12 weeks of maternity leave are not over?
    >> No employer cannot ask the woman to work before 12 weeks of maternity leave

    2The legally allowed maternity leave is 12 weeks, correct?

    >> Yes, according to the Maternity Benefits Act 1961, you are entitled to 6 weeks of leave before your due date, and 6 weeks after your child's birth. So you can claim at least 12 weeks or three months maternity leave

    3. Your friend can send an email stating that her 12 weeks are still not over and that she will not be able to work as doctor advised her bed rest.

    >> Yes your friend and make a complain to the labour commissioner.



  • Send a legal notice for recovery of dues from employer @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Labour & Service lawyers in India

Similar questions

A case was filed against me in 2011 under section 323 by our college because…

How my pension will start faster? I have provided all need documents but the process…
Dear sir,  i am working as an 'Insurance Medical Officer(IMO)' i.e,a regular permanent employee in…

i was hired by a company on verbal terms. i worked for them for 9…

Labour & Service Lawyers in India

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)

 Experience: 17 years

Advocate Rajesh K.S

  Rajaji Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Riddhi Shah

  Borivali East
 Experience: 11 years

Advocate Vivek Mapara

  Suramya Complex
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly